Hidden manifest


I almost never remember what I dream about when I am asleep. On the other hand, I have a friend that has an impressive amount of dreams. Most of them full of fantastic adventures and characters, showing attraction towards the impossible and the concealed.

I asked her to dream for me for a limited period of time. She consented to it and wrote down her dreams for one month. I have re-written them afterwards and agreed that I was to preserve their content, as well as the direction and morals of the imagined scenarios. However, I received the permission to intervene on the final texts that were intended for the public view. It was more an aesthetic and stylistic addition, not an alteration of the original dreams. I did this by rearranging slightly the phrase construction as well as the wording and by selecting passages from what she has initially wrote. After taking these steps, several texts were created resembling extracts from short stories, but the stories have never been actually put to paper themselves.

After that, I printed the cut out fictions and glued them into public places. Not any kind of public space, but those specific locations chosen by people to write anonymously their messages to the world or some of their private believes and concerns: the public toilets, the pubs and clubs, the old cannons by the castle, the plants in the streets and the benches in the public parks.

Under the general perception, dreams are one of the most intimate means of both self and the collective. They are regarded as a very common medium for evading some of the inherent filters applied to the individual. The idea of this project was to draw attention upon the private and not so private manifestations of the subjective voice, but also to break the uniformity of some of the messages found in the public areas by means of storytelling.

Project Images

Journal Images